Thursday, November 22, 2012

Random thought...

Many a times we see something unrighteous, someone in need of help... many a times... but how many times did we actually extend that helping hand to another? Just a random thought after reading Ps Jo's recent FB status..


Monday night after props, we went scouting for the needy/homeless.. it was so hard to find any... but we did see one, around melaka raya.. and we passed by... i didn't think much of it... most of the time I look, my heart goes out to them.. but always too shy to take that move of courage.

I'm not like James. He actually tried to buy chicken rice for that uncle on the bridge.. too bad when he bought it the uncle disappeared n never came back...

So as Kath drove by the empty streets... My thoughts lingered around the old man we saw at melaka raya... hands folded tight over his chest, legs curled up in a desperate effort to keep warm... he only held a relatively big plastic bag.. n was using it sort of like a blanket...

As we made the last round... we ended up on that street again... somehow i uttered: "If the old man still there why don't we get him some food?"

I don't know why i did that.

I didn't think Kath'd actually stop.

I didn't think of what we'd say to him, nor what would happen if he'd brush us off.

So we stopped by the 7/11 nearby... bought some potato bread, wondering if he'd like potatoes...
Straightaway my mind wondered.. what kind of story would this man have to tell...
Would we listen?
It'd be uncomfortable would it not?

We bought 2 packets of bread, a disposable rain coat (picked to orange one), n a bottle of mineral water. As we walked on to the uncle.. I hung back, knowing i had to pray... i didn't know why, still don't know why... I just plan to hang back n let Chris n Eric do the talking (since they were in front)...

Turned out the uncle spoke Hokkien... which only Kath n i understood.. lol...
He was saying kam sia, kam sia, kam sia... (Thank you) over and over..
I didn't hear that part tho...
I knelt down beside him and took out the stuffs we bought for him, got bread la.. got rain coat can use la.. Kath asked if he had any friends...

No friends.

I wonder how its like; having no friends. I wish i could tell him: Jesus is your friend... but then what'd we do? bring him back n take care of him in our homes? say jesus loves you and leave him there?
In the end we'd said our goodbyes and bid him take care... and we walked back to our car. I hung back again... Saying a prayer to God.. that he'd find help.. that the rest of his life wouldn't just be sitting around streets.. that he'd actually be SAFE... I don't know if anyone else did that.. but i guess.. its something new for me.

i wonder if what we did that night changed a person's life. And it makes you wonder... how about the lives revolving around you at all times during your own life? Aren't they as significant? The people we come in contact with day by day.. If only we can meet their need.. the world would be a better place i guess.. I don't know if i've the right answer to what Christianity is about.. but I bet, it'd be about meeting the needs of the needy. And not just physical needs, but more than that: mental, emotional, and even Spiritual needs.

Won't You Lord, use me to pray for those in need. That they'd find hope and encouragements.
That their needs be met. If You will it to be so, use me to meet those needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment